Sweet, caramelized onions top this perfectly seared steak. The onions become soft and juicy and complement the flavors of the steak. If you have any leftover onion marmalade, add them to your sandwich for a flavor boost.
Red Wine-Onion Marmalade
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 3 yellow (Vidalia onions) thinly sliced
· ¾ cup dry red wine
· ¼ cup port wine
· 1 teaspoon brown sugar
· ½ cup water
· 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 4 steaks (filet mignon, rib-eye, New York)
1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat, and add onions and sauté for 10-15 minutes or until softened. Stir occasionally.
2. Add the red wine, port wine and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaportated, about 15 minutes.
3. Add the water and continue cooking until mixture has thickened, adding the thyme, salt and pepper. Turn off heat and set aside.
4. Take steaks out of refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling and season generously with salt and coarse ground black pepper.
5. Heat skillet or grill pan and oil slightly. Grill for 7 minutes on each side for medium doneness (depending on the thickness of your steak). Let steak rest covered for 10 minutes before serving with warm onion marmalade spooned over the top.